Skip to main content

Fulbright US Student Program

Fulbright US Student Program – Grants for Study or Teaching Abroad

Who Can Apply: Seniors, Recent Grads, Graduate Students – US Citizens – GPA of 3.4 or higher recommended – All Majors

IMPORTANT: Applicants should be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician.

Description: The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is the nation's largest study abroad fellowship program, and is designed to give recent B.S./B.A. graduates opportunities for international experience, personal enrichment and an open exchange of ideas with citizens of other nations. The J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board looks favorably on qualified graduating seniors, who are still in the process of developing specific career plans. The full list of participating countries may be found here.

Award Amount: In general, Fulbright grants for study and teaching cover the following costs (as applicable): Round-trip transportation to the host country; Maintenance for the academic year, based on living costs in the host country; Medical Insurance; Language or orientation programs, in some cases (see relevant Country Summary for details). Fulbright study grants may also provide: Book and research allowances; Full or partial tuition, in most cases (see relevant Country Summary for details).

Duration: Approximately one academic year; length and timing of awards varies by individual country and/or region.

UMCP Campus Deadline: September 1 – All University of Maryland applicants (currently enrolled students and alumni) for the Fulbright competition should submit their complete applications on-line by this date. This includes the three letters of recommendation.

There are two main types of Fulbright grants:

  • Fulbright Academic Study Grant: These grants generally provide round-trip transportation; book and research allowances; maintenance for the academic year, based on living costs in the host country; supplemental health and accident insurance; tuition, in some cases; and language or orientation courses, where appropriate. Potential applicants should consult the individual country pages for details.

  • Fulbright English Teaching Assistantships: Opportunities to teach English language and conversation classes abroad are available. A stipend is provided based on living costs in the host country. The Fulbright award covers round-trip international travel, health and accident insurance, and orientation costs.Currently, English Teaching Assistantships are offered in the following countries (the list is regularly updated and enlarged): Andorra, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Colombia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Jordan, Korea, Macau, Madagascar, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Nepal, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam.

Program Preferences: For study grants, evidence of past coursework or research experience (course-related or through internships, employment, etc.) concerning the host country/region and/or the field of study is important. Prior study abroad in the proposed host country or region can be advantageous but is NOT required.

For teaching grants, evidence of prior experience in tutoring, team-leading, coaching, teaching, camp counseling or other similar activities is very helpful. Coursework in education or English-as-a-second-language training is NOT required but may be helpful.

Back to Top