For More Information Contact: National Scholarships Office – email@example.com
Who Can Apply: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, Recent Grads – GPA of 3.5 or higher strongly recommended
Description: The mission of Learning Enterprises is to expand people’s horizons through conversation-based English language classes taught by American and international volunteers. All programs take place during the summer and last approximately 4-8 weeks. You will be required to teach conversation-based English language classes for between three and six hours per day (depending on location), with the weekends off. You are required to create your own lesson plans, tailored to both your skills and interests and also to the abilities and interests of your classes. Beyond that you are free to spend your time as you wish, and we encourage you to do so with your host family and host community. Our mission is guided by five principles:
• Fostering creativity in children and adults
• Expanding horizons through access to the English language as a means of communication
• Promoting understanding through cross-cultural exchange
• Spreading the spirit of volunteerism
• Providing substantive and rewarding work experience for young people
Our program benefits the children in developing countries who take part in our classes, the host families who open their homes and minds to LE volunteers, and our volunteers who work as teachers for the summer.
Program Preferences: To qualify for a position we ask that you be:
• Independent: there is little in-country oversight, and villages are often in isolated areas with limited outside communication
• Resourceful: teaching and living abroad always provides unexpected challenges
• Adaptable: living conditions are often considered uncomfortable by US and UK standards.
• Service oriented: being an LE volunteer is hard work!
• Available for the whole duration of the teaching assignment
• A native (or equivalent level) English speaker
• Competent to the required level in the host community’s language, if applicable (see Our Programs)
• Teaching experience is helpful, but IS NOT required
• Regional or travel experience is helpful, but IS NOT required
Costs of Program: Application Fee: $25 (January 1 deadline) or $35 (February 14 deadline). All food and lodging will be taken care of by your hosts while you are teaching. The main costs to the volunteer include airfare, vaccinations, and incidental summer expenses.
Duration: Four to eight weeks during the Summer, depending on the program.
National Deadline: January 1, 2018--priority decision deadline; February 14, 2018 regular decision deadline