For More Information Contact: National Scholarships Office – email@example.com
Who Can Apply: U.S. citizens or permanent residents; undergraduates in good standing who have at least one term of enrollment remaining upon return from studying abroad. Minimum GPA of 2.8.
IMPORTANT: Applicants must be receiving need-based financial aid or demonstrate a verifiable need for financial assistance to study abroad.
IMPORTANT: Program length must be at least 8 weeks for a summer term and 12 weeks for a semester term.
IMPORTANT: Applicants must have little or no previous experience in the proposed country of study.
IMPORTANT: Must apply through the U.S. home campus and have at least one term of enrollment remaining at the home institution in the U.S. upon returning from studying abroad in Asia
Description: Freeman-ASIA (Freeman Awards for Study in Asia) is designed to support American undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning to study overseas in East or Southeast Asia. Eligible countries include: Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam. The program’s goal is to increase the number of Americans with first-hand exposure to and understanding of Asia and its peoples and cultures. Award recipients are required to share their experiences with their home campuses or communities to encourage study abroad by others and fulfill the program's goal of increasing understanding of Asia in the United States.
Program Preferences: Preference will be given to applicants who:
• Participate in language study that will enhance their ability to engage with the host culture.
• Enroll in a study abroad program with at least 20 hours per week of class time, incorporating the study of an East Asian language, culture, and history.
• Participate in a study abroad program taught by host country faculty members.
• Demonstrate sincere interest in incorporating East Asian Studies into future academic and/or professional plans.
Primary Criteria for Evaluation:
• Financial need.
• Commitment to and demonstrated interest in East or Southeast Asian Studies.
• Quality of the service project proposal.
Award Amount: Awards vary—up to $3,000 for summer, up to $5,000 for a semester, and up to $7,000 for an academic year.
Duration: Students may apply for summer, semester, or academic year.
Deadline: October 18, 2017 for spring 2018, 5:00 pm EST; early April for summer and fall/academic year 2018.